Who does not LOVE to get surprises in the mail? Well the other day as I was getting my mail a cute hot pink envelope caught my eye! It was from my sister Carolyn and it contained a brief note saying "Hey! Remember these? I saw them at the drug store and picked you up a pack in case you wanted to start collecting again!" If you can't tell from the picture they are Garbage Pail Kids! Just to be clear...it was inaccurate for Carolyn to say "collecting again" because I never collected them in the first place. In fact, I'm pretty sure they were not allowed in our house (good call Mom) but of course that made them all the more alluring when kids were passing them around the playground in elementary school! But I have to admit that taking another look at these little gems in my "adult life"...THEY ARE GROSS! Sorry the picture is a tad blurry but that's probably for the best...you don't really want to see what they are standing in, or eating on any of the cards. And now-a-days the cards can convert into stickers (which is a feature I do not recall being offered in my youth). But much to my hubby's dismay I have decided that they are not allowed to be stuck on any of Taj's toys (good call self!)
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
nasty nostalgia
So even though they are GROSS they really brought back a lot of memories! Plus, who does not LOVE to get surprises in the mail? :) Thanks Carolyn.
Posted by nickel... at 10:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



10 comments:
Oh, yes. I do remember those! My siblings and I had a pretty good collection going until my dad took a closer look at them. Yeah, that ended that collection (good call dad). They really are gross! I mean, c'mon, who actually invented those things and why wasn't there a hoard of parents burning down the factory where they were produced? Ah, the 80s. I do remember the sticker versions as I had one or two choice nasties pasted to my Garfield lunch box.
Nothing says reminiscing like some messed up Cabbage Patch doll cards that have names like Leaking Lacy with a picture of her standing in a sink of urine. Ahhh memories!
Seriously a co-worker and I were just talking about these and wondered if they were still around. Which grocery store did she get them at?
Rite Aid.
And maybe it was me then who collected these when I was young. (Sorry Mom!)
that explains so much!
yeah, I think Carolyn had a "secret stash". I'm glad you mentioned this because this will be great for my 80's party this weekend!
Oh man, I totally remember those! We weren't allowed to have those in our house either - thankfully!! Thanks for the throwback to the '80's - fun times!! :)
Memories. Sweet memories.
I almost bought a pack on ebay a few years back for nostaglia sake...but then I really looked at them again and decided against it (good call to me). Thanks for the memory trip.
Apparently they are alive and well on the internets of today.
http://www.garbagepailkidsworld.com/
Post a Comment