Saturday, April 5, 2008

No Thanks!

Yesterday Taj went "hiking" with his Daddo and about 15 feet into the "hike" (but was more like a regular walk) Taj tripped and fell straight into a rock.  It was just one of those things. Mark said that it wasn't a big fall and he couldn't even see the rock he hit, but nonetheless...hit it he did!  I was so glad that I wasn't there for this part because Mark said it bled A LOT.  He got Taj back in the car after taking his shirt off to use to absorb the bleeding and called me.  We met at the Pediatrician office who helped clean him up and then off to Quick Care for stitches.  The Pediatrician would normally have done it but the doctor on duty had hurt the tendons in his hand and could no longer perform stitches.  However you should know that by this time Taj was happy and just hanging out and most of the bleeding had stopped, but he still looked a fright!  Anyhow after the a few hours in the Quick Care waiting room he got himself 3 stitches!  That was no fun. Taj had only had himself 12 Ritz crackers for dinner and by now it is about 2 hours after his normal bedtime (PLUS..he had skipped his nap that day!) They actually asked Mark and I to stay and help hold him down...and that was no fun!  They wrap him in a blanket and then lay a cloth that has a hole in it over his face so that only the cut is showing.  So Taj is bound up, face covered and held down while being stitched up.  They give him a shot to numb the area so after that I knew he wasn't in pain...just terrified.  That last for about 15 min while they did the stitching and he kicked and screamed the whole time.  The sewing part doesn't gross me out...I just didn't like the crying.  But I kept my calm voice up and whispered into Taj's ear that we were right there and he was okay. The doctor commented on what a "good fighter" he was.  Once he was done being worked on and I got him in my arms he stopped crying, so it was okay.  But once we got into the car I had to have myself a good cry (and yes Mama I was missing you EXTRA right then:).  So it was not fun.  But Taj is a-ok now.  He was happy when we got home, just sleepy.  We had some milk and went straight to bed.  Then today he has been great.  He keeps messing with the band-aide we put on there, but he slept through the night and is a taking a dozy of a nap right now. 
Mark has been wonderfully calm and kind (as usual!) to both Taj and me throughout the ordeal, and I can safely say that I feel like I earned myself a badge of motherhood for enduring my first emergency room visit!

12 comments:

Kenn N said...

Poor guy, he seems to have a really cool battle scar though.

I hate it when Caleb gets hurt like this, it's hard to handle as a parent, I want to prevent such things and then they happen. Alas, such is life and that's how they learn. (myself as well, I really should encourage him to jump off things and such.)

Jen said...

Ahhh......poor Taj - and Cathy! (Actually, poor Mark, too. He probably felt terrible when it happened - especially with all the blood.)

Drake tells me that chicks dig scars, so l guess Taj is just starting young.

Welcome to motherhood!

Anonymous said...

Oh poor Tajie. That's crazy that both of our boys did this within weeks of each other. Nicks stitches are still healing. :) It sounds like he was a trooper though. You too :)

Anonymous said...

Poor guys! I'm glad you all are ok! I guess Taj just hit it the right way!

McEwen Family said...

I couldn't have done what you did Cathy, you definately earned yourself a badge of motherhood!
Poor Taj, I feel so bad for his experience!!! Poor Mark for having to witness it, I'm glad you weren't there to see all the blood. Hopefully you steer clear of any ER visits! I just made a mental note to do the same, so no hiking for Andy and little Andrew!I'm glad he is doing better now.
On a side note, Andrew has a lot of the same clothes that Taj does...we must be on the same page!

Amanda said...

What a day! Well what better to do than get a very manly battle wound on a very manly hike with his very manly daddy.

I would never have held up my calm voice during the holding down. Bravo!

Poor little guy. :)

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

Poor little guy but what a trooper! I can't even imagine that ordeal for you. You definitely get a badge in my book!

Harlene said...

What a good Mom you are! I think you and Mark should make up a really cool surfing story for how that scar happened.

Taj to chickees at the baby pool, "Well, my Dad and I were surfing off the North Shore of Oahu and..."

I am glad it all ended okay.

Kirsten said...

Yikes! Poor little man! That looks like a Frankenstein cut there, Taj!

I don't think I would have held up any better that you did.

Cori and Dusty said...

Oh, my goodness! That must have been awful! Taj does have a cool Frankenstein picture now though...

7 Baldwin's said...

Holy Cow! That whole holding him down under a blanket sounds awful! I'm glad you and he both survived it! We still haven't had any stitches or broken bones which I'm SHOCKED about so I'm probably jinxing myself... But I'm glad he's ok!

Unguren said...

Yeah Taj. Now you and Laney can deffinately be friends because you have matching scars. Yours may be a little worse though.

Just remember chicks dig scars!