Saturday, August 29, 2009

Valley of Fire

Last night we went on our first family campout to Valley of Fire (another young family from our ward came with us, the Bellows). We got to the park right about sunset when the temperature had dipped down to a cool 100 degrees. We set up our tents and cooked some hot dogs and smores. We hung out a little and talked but it was pretty much bedtime for the kiddies so we all just retired to our tents (note I didn't say sleep). Ari had her own 4-man tent with a pack and play. Since it was so warm she decided to just sleep in her diaper with no blankets whatsoever. Cathy, Taj and I slept in another tent. We didn't sleep a whole lot because Taj was so excited to be camping he wasn't falling asleep. Plus it was just HOT. Reminded me of my 2 years of sweaty slumber on my mission in Ecuador. Despite the lack of sleep we had a great time. We woke up to an awesome sunrise and had breakfast while trying to not be stung by a couple of very persistent and curious bees. Then we drove around the park and took lots of pictures. I highly recommend checking out the park if you get the chance (its not even that big, but its jam packed with sweetness!).
Ari was happy to see we hadn't left her alone in the wilderness when she woke up. But I am not sure she was ready for a photo shoot either.
Cathy and Ari making breakfast. Taj was just looking around trying to decide which rock or handful of sand to throw next. He refused to eat practically anything the whole campout because there was too much to explore and play with to stop to eat something.
Ari loves the freedom she gets from the Bumbo (the blue molded seat she is sitting in). She slept better than anyone on this campout.
Taj looking a little tired from his long night of excitement.
Ari's tent on the left. Cathy, Taj and I slept in our sweet REI tent on the right. I really love this tent. You can see the stars all night and it really keeps you cool (unless you're in the desert and there is no breeze, but given the conditions it was great).
Taj looking a little apprehensive about the petrified oliphant (Lord of the Rings reference) behind him (Elephant Rock).
Peek a Boo!
Ryan and Taj.
Nickel and Taj racing up the stairs to see the petrified log.
This is a stone cabin built and used back in the 1930's for people to rest as they drove from CA to UT. This place kinda seems like the real-life "Radiator Springs" from the movie Cars.
Taj was really interested in the history of the park and did a great job of being our tour guide/navigator ("Go this way Dad! No, this way, this way, this way!")
Mother-Nature just showing off. "Look what I can balance."
wow.
I liked the wrinkles in the rock. From close up it looks like a layered cake with the frosting between the layers kinda squishing out.
I can't believe we caught this on film. Ari had wondered off on her own and I saved her right before this rattlesnake struck at her. It only looks like the visitor center display but the emotion in her eyes tells you its real.
What are the chances we would catch this on film too. Ari again wondered off on her own to explore. I saved her again right before this mountain lion pounced on her.
good times.

3 comments:

Unguren said...

If I was a moutain lion I would want to eat Ari too. She is sweeeet.

Anonymous said...

Mark: I so love when you post. You just crack me up. I love the last photo - a could be Christmas card? Kimberlink

Anonymous said...

Boy Ari sure wonders off a lot for not being able to walk... or crawl!


Or can she crawl already?
what a fun family trip!!!