Sunday, August 23, 2009

Techatticup Mines (Nelson, NV) Part 1

On Saturday I took Taj and Ari on a daddy field trip to the Techatticup Mines near Nelson, NV. I have been gone a lot lately (surfing in CA, priesthood duty at girls camp, visiting my family in FL) and Cathy has been covering for me. So while we went on our field trip she had a pedicure and just got some time away from my clones.
I think this is the second time I have ever seen Big Horn Sheep. Can you spot all four of them?
There were so many of these Cholla Cacti. The bright yellowy green color looked awesome in person. By the way there are only three Big Horn Sheep in the last picture. I couldn't resist making some of you spend a little extra time looking. :)
I think this used to be a dog. This is sitting right next to the door of the convenience store. I guess it serves as a good reminder to stay well hydrated. Buy a drink from the store.
I guess this property is managed by the convenience store people. There are half a dozen old buildings and tons of old stuff everywhere you can just wander around and check everything out for free.
Tajkins the blacksmith.
These old cannons were really cool.
Farmer Taj.
This appeared to be a rare bowling ball garden (usually not indigenous to this desert).
I really wanted to get a closer picture of a Cholla Cactus so we ventured off the trail for a closer look.
Mother Nature punked me again. I must have kicked a random cholla cactus ball with my right foot and it stuck to my shoe. Then as I was walking the cactus stuck in my left calf from my right shoe. Ingenious design Mrs. Nature, but I was able to use two sticks to chop stick myself to recovery. Just for that little prank I plan to leave a slightly larger carbon footprint this week to remind her who's boss.

1 comments:

Unguren said...

I have noticed that the blogging is done by Mark more these days...well done on keeping it up. I am sure that Mrs. Nature is going to know what's what now! Take that!